Now when it comes to VR development, wouldn’t it be easy if you could directly test your Unity scene on the headset wirelessly? That’s possible now if you own an Oculus Quest 2!
Want to watch the video instead?
1. Setting Up Oculus Desktop App and Headset
We need to first download and install the Oculus Quest 2 Desktop app.
- Head over to the Oculus website and click on
DOWNLOAD QUEST 2 PC APP
- Install the app and follow the instruction to log in.
- Head over to the Devices tab and click on
Add Headset→ select
Quest 2and click on
Air link (Wireless)and click on
- Assuming you have already set up your headset by login into your account and completing the tutorials, if not you can check the initial setup . On the home screen, select → make sure you are connected to the Wi-Fi and then go to ⚙️ → select the tab→ enable , review the Air Link requirements and then select .
- Now you will be able to see Available PCs, select your PC and then select . You will be prompted to confirm the pairing code displayed in your headset. in the menu. Click on → from the list of
- Take off your headset, make sure that the code on your computer matches the one you see in your headset and click on . You can now close the pop-up.
2. Setting up Unity
I have set up my scene with an XROrigin including continuous movement locomotion system and a helmet prefab which can be grabbed. Before we can test your scene on our device, we need to make sure the project is set up correctly.
Build Settings. Here, make sure you have chosen the Platform as PC, Mac & Linux Standalone
- In the same window, select make sure you have ☑️ selected Oculus. → . Here
3. Playing Unity Scene on Oculus Wirelessly
Finally, we have arrived at the section you have been waiting for. For this you need to wear your headset and do as follows:
- On the home screen, select
Quick Settings→ click on
Oculus Air Link→
Launchthe Air Link.
- Wait for the virtual desktop to open, then click on the 🖥️ tab and choose the that has the SteamVR shortcut → open the SteamVR application.
- You can launch the SteamVR even before connecting the Air Link but that might not work all the time.
- If your VR display is black after choosing the Monitor then, open Graphics Setting → click on
Browse→ navigate to the path C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime → select OVRServer_x64 and click on
Add→ select the
Optionsfrom OVRServer_x64.exe, select the
Power Savingoption and save. That should solve the black screen issue.
- Once SteamVR is open, press the 🖥️ tab and choose the where you have your Unity project→ open the project and hit ▶️ . Now you can test your scene on your headset. button on the right controller to open the home screen menu → click on the
- To quit the app, press the you can stop playing your scene by clicking the ▶️ button once again. button on the right controller and click on Quit App → from the virtual desktop